Yes Joel. The last time I brushed painted a model car body I was probably 10 yo! On this one I primered it, sprayed flat black dusted a little more primer on the roof (probably didn't need anymore primer but this was my first try at this) Then brushed very lightly Turquise on the drivers door and a few spots here and there then started covering it all with a wash of acrylic burnt seinna. I kept adding washes until I was happy with the effect. The dash was done with just the washes until I thought it looked good, Then dabbed a little acrylic burnt unser in spots. I'll try and get some shots of the products I used and post them.
Thanks John. I appreaciate your comments! I have today and tomorrow off from work so I am able to devote some undivided attention to this project! First I searched around until I found the coffee stirring sticks I bought a few months back. They are thinner and narrower than craft (popsicle) sticks and I think they look to be more in scale. I added a few supports in the bed and made a floor out of the sticks then trimmed it to fit.[/URL]
Next I strarted looking for a suitable radiator surround. I had it in my mind that I wanted something that hinted to the original frontend. Digging though my junk parts stash I found this custom front end from a 57? maybe 58? Chevy kit. It had a nice shape to it and I trimmed it down for the grille (that I had previously shortened).
I really like the bed. Are you going to stain it to bring out the grain?
I was thinking about leaving it like it is. I may change my mind later but if I do I will experiment on some of the left over sticks first.
Wet them a little, it makes the grain stand up, and then lightly sand them, makes the grain stand out, then use something like Golden Oak for a light color or walnut for a dark color or whatever you like. Those sticks have a good grain pattern in them they would look great with a stain. IMO. If you want the grain to REALLY stand out, wet them and hold them over the flame on your stove enough to warm them but not burn them and then sand them.
I've been having issues with photo bucket this afternoon, but think I may have it worked out now....Here's the rest of the grille pictures I took this morning.[URL=http://s868.photobucket.com/user/alangri_2000/media/20161208_115104_zpsst3gxozf.jpg.html][/URL]